Monday, September 10, 2007

Marchingbands, apathy and fabric softener

Saturday I got to enjoy LSU football tailgating experience. I didn't have tickets to the game. But I did watch the band march to the stadium. My roommate Brian had tickets so I met up with him and his buddy Clay. while waitng for the band to come down the hill I was talking with Clay.

"My girlfriend and her roommate are watching a play about Amish people today."

Clay looked at me and said, "Why? Its LSU game day. Why aren't they here?"

"Um ... cause they live in Indiana."

"Oh." He said, "Well they've got college football in Indiana."

Yes they do and Notre Dame is 0 and 2 right now. To think that after the Michigan game one of those teams will be 0 and 3. Also from my understanding Rachel said she would have enjoyed a football game more than the play. And that is saying a lot because she is always making fun of my love for American sports that don't involve a puck. =P

So I watched the first quarter of the game over at the Christian Student Center south of campus. One of the kids said, "You know the real opposite of love is not hate. It's apathy." They were joking around about dispensing apathy on one another. At one point I found myself enjoying the game in one of the more comfortable chairs. After a while I decided to get up for my second helping of hamburgers. When I got back I found that one of the kids had taken my seat. I looked at him and said "Do you apathy me?"

Sunday after church I went to Walmart to pick up some groceries. Now have you ever had a piece of modern technology that was irrationally overwhelming to you. You know that it should be easy to use, but for some reason you are scared to use it because you might do something wrong. I don't know, like a gas pump or something. ;) Well to be honest I kind of feel that way about washingmachines. I mean I get the whole whites verses darks thing. But warm then cold, or is it boiling hot then lukewarm. And there is that knob that says delicates verse sturdy verse other kinds of things. I mean I'm a 29 year old guy. My wardrobe seems to be fairly simple. I put the Tide in the machine, I put in my clothes, I turn the one knob to hot, I turn the other knob to normal and everything seems to work out fine.

Any who back to Sunday. I am in Walmart getting groceries. I reach the laundry detergent isle and panic sets in. I am looking for a bottle that has one word on it, "Tide". That bottle wasn't there. Oh there were bottles that said Tide, but they had all sorts of crazy other things on them. There was Tide with bleach, I've seen that bottle before. I have been fearful of that one because legend has it that bleach can eat through clothes. There is one bottle that say "Tide money saving cold water blah blah ... and other things". That is much more complicated then the hot knob plus normal knob equals done laundry. Then there's a bottle that says "Tide with Febreeze". What??? Isn't that the stuff the use to clean your windshield wipers? I mean all I need is Tide, T-I-D-E! I am afraid if I use one of these other things I am going to turn my clothes green or something else that is very bad.

Finally I find a bottle that seems reasonable, "Tide with Downey". Now I know what Downey is. That was the commercial back in the eighties with the Teddy bear bouncing on a stack of towels. Tide with fabric softener. Ok so I put Tide with Downey in the machine, I put in my clothes, I turn the one knob to hot, I turn the other knob to normal and everything will be soft like the Teddy bear. We can handle that. =D

I am planning on doing my laundry during the Bengal vs Ravens football game tonight. I hope every comes out OK, for the Bengals and my clothes.

3 comments:

rachelslab said...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking that a laundry detergent that eats through clothes probably wouldn't be a best seller. = P Bleach is a very powerful thing though. I also try to avoid it like the plague.

Matthew and Rhonda said...

once again, very nice to get to know you a little more. the window into your detergent-buying experience provided great insights... you can always move to a 3rd world country. here i have about 4 kinds to choose from, total. not 4 kinds of each brand, just 4 kinds. lovely.

chewie said...

Wait a second.....what is wrong with green? You say "blah blah green or something bad like that." Green is one of my favorite colors. Maybe you should have said "...set my clothes on fire or something bad like that." Clothes set on fire is bad green clothes are not bad.